Thursday, June 12, 2008

Wild 100's-Running Back to Jail

ImageHost.org
"I apologize for making the poor decision to drink and drive," Benson said in the statement. "Given the incident last month, it was a particularly bad decision. I have no excuse for this lack of judgment. Though I strongly believe that I am not guilty of any crime, I realize that the public and the Bears organization hold me to a higher standard. Though my local attorneys will continue to work hard to prove my innocence, I confess to using poor judgment. Please accept my deepest apology."

Benson, Austin police say, was driving a BMW and ran a red light in the heart of Austin's night life district. Austin police spokeswoman Veneza Aguinaga said an officer smelled alcohol on Benson's breath and he was given a field sobriety test. He then was arrested for suspicion of drunken driving and taken into custody without incident.

Once at the Travis County jail, Benson declined a Breathalyzer and blood test, Aguinaga said. After his arrest, a magistrate ordered Benson held in lieu of $2,000 bond, which he posted shortly afterward and was released at 8:48 a.m., jail officials said

"Disappointment is too much an often-used word when we're talking about Cedric," Bears general manager Jerry Angelo said Saturday during a news conference before the annual fan convention at Soldier Field. "I am very surprised he put himself in this situation." "When individual priorities overshadow team goals, we suffer the consequences as a team," Angelo said in a statement. "Those who fail to understand the importance of 'team' will not play for the Chicago Bears."
source-chicago tribune

No comments: